Flirting with the HSF: UFO/PHD and a wink to Terminology

This time, it’s a coincidence that I managed to put two challenges into this project. I really thought it would just be a UFO, but as I looked through the list of challenges I realized that I could wink to Terminology, as the UFO in question was an apron dress.

Finished dress on the floor

Finished dress on the floor

The dress was started last year for the Flora and Fauna challenge, and I have two rather long blog posts about why it fits the challenge (even though my original idea to fit the challenge wasn’t happening) and why it’s nigh impossible to determine the accuracy of the apron dress project. The dress was very close to being finished when I realized that my stupid brain had forgotten some seam allowances and the dress was like a second skin. So I had to cut up the side pieces to add a strip of fabric, and then life happened and it basically got left behind. All that was missing were the shoulder straps and hemming.

The "more-than-originally-planned" side seams

The ”more-than-originally-planned” side seams

Fast forward to this summer and going to a Viking Market. I suddenly had an excuse to finish the dress, but my summer was rather hectic and the time management wasn’t perfect. So a very quick hemming and making sure the straps were somewhat attached before I had to leave for the train later, the dress is ”finished enough”.

Last-minute-panic straps and hem

Last-minute-panic straps and hem

This means it’s not historically/re-enactment accurate at all. Many oval brooches (spännbucklor in Swedish, I’ve forgotten the English translation) show that there have been loops (made from linen or wool fabric) on the straps, and the straps were fastened with the brooches. As that is one of the few solid evidence we have about the apron dress, the accuracy level of this project drops. But the people on the Viking market were very nice about my ”cheat project”.

And when I get a bit better at drawing animal ornamentation, the dress might get some embroidery as well. One of my friends is amazing at Viking inspired embroidery, and she also gives embroidery classes, so there might be one when I’m in Stockholm some time. One of her try-outs is in my interpretation a sea dragon and I can’t wait to see what her actual project with that is. You can see the sea dragon here.

There will be no photos of wearing this dress in this post. I’m having plans of making this an outfit together with a Re-do/Fairytale project and hopefully also the All that glitters project. So until then…

The Apron Facts:

The Challenge: UFO/PHD, winking to Terminology

Fabric: Woollen twill weave

Pattern: Started with this pattern, (link to PDF), then had to make some changes as I forgot some seam allowances….

Year: Re-enactment Viking Age – I think the pattern is based on a Hedeby find which had a secondary use as ship caulking. So it’s perhaps more about our image or vision about the Viking Age than the actual fashion of the Nordic 9th-11th century…

Notions: Linen thread, bee’s wax

How historically accurate is it? Absolutely no idea.

Hours to complete: Forgotten to count

First worn: In Foteviken, end of June (so this is a rather late blog post…)

Total cost: Can’t remember. I fell in love with the fabric and got a discount as there was so little left of it, but I don’t remember the price.

Annonser

Lämna en kommentar

Filed under Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge

Kommentera

Fyll i dina uppgifter nedan eller klicka på en ikon för att logga in:

WordPress.com Logo

Du kommenterar med ditt WordPress.com-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Twitter-bild

Du kommenterar med ditt Twitter-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Facebook-foto

Du kommenterar med ditt Facebook-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Google+ photo

Du kommenterar med ditt Google+-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Ansluter till %s